If you’ve read on home security protection, then most likely, you’ve already taken precautions to keep your family safe. Most probably, you’ve equipped your home with a security camera. It is also strongly advised to teach your children to call 911 in case of an emergency. I believe that you’ve taken all the necessary steps to protect your family, but have you thought about protecting your valuable possessions.
If you’re asking what to keep in a home safe, you should consider storing priceless heirlooms, land titles, and insurance documents. There’s no secret that these documents are hard to reproduce. That’s why you must know what to keep in a home safe, especially against fire and burglars. Having a safe in your house provides peace of mind and protection against forces of nature and robbery. If you intend to avoid these scenarios, it’s best to know what items to keep in a safe. In this article, we’ll explain to you why you should keep them in a safe and where to place your safe.
What To Keep In A Home Safe?
It’s a bit no brainer to a homeowner that you need a fireproof and anti-theft home safe. A home safe secures and holds the most important stuff you own. You should take into account avoiding accidents such as fire and robbery against your home safe. When deciding which valuables to put in your safe, it takes major consideration whether what to keep in a home safe. Here are a couple of things that you should consider securing and protecting:
- Property and land titles
- Insurance policies
- House photos
- Safety deposit box and spare car keys
- Credit and social security cards
- Passports and bank books
- Wills and living documents
All these things need careful consideration when keeping them inside your safe. In this case, it would be best to have a standard size safe to accommodate these documents.
Why You Should Keep Them In A Home Safe
Not only a safe can secure your belongings against an intruder, but it can also protect your documents against fire. A home safe can lead to less stress and peace of mind that your materials are safe and protected. So, understanding what to keep in a home safe results in the next question of why you should keep them? Here are some reasons why you must keep your valuables inside a home safe.
- Documents that are hard to replace or you may need in a hurry may become stressful if you lose them. That’s why having a reliable safe in your house has become a requirement for most people. You may want to keep your passports, ‘Power of Attorney‘ documents, and social security cards are much difficult to reproduce. A high-quality home safe is an excellent place to store these crucial documents.
- Documents that are exclusively for law purposes may become frustrating to reproduce if you lose them. It’s a responsibility of a homeowner to have a high-quality safe to protect these types of documents such as property and land titles, original will documents, and keys. A fireproof and heavy-duty home safe may be well needed in case your home gets into the fire, or a theft steals your valuables.
Where To Place Home Safe
The size of the safe plays a significant aspect in determining where to place the unit. If you’re purchasing a large safe, make sure that you’ve prepared a location to install the device in your house. While a smaller safe may offer a much closer and accessible area to place closer to you, it’s best to figure out which model suits you best.
- One of the recommended places to put a safe is on a shelf or furniture against the wall. Resting a home safe inside the divisions of a rack or shelf helps the device to conceal its appearance against intruders. You can anchor your safe into a concrete wall so that it’s not easily removable. If you decide to place your safe inside or underneath furniture, it can serve several advantages. It will be closed and hidden from the prying eyes of a thief or keep your children away from the safe.
- If you’re safe is a bit narrow and not too deep, you can embed the unit in a wall. You can mount or sink the safe to your wall to keep it protected and conceal from intruders. Most safe can be covered by a wall painting or wall decoration to keep it away from the children and burglars. This procedure is what most profession recommends to homeowners. You must consider installing these types of safes on a thick wall so it won’t be easy to penetrate or pry on them.
- Another comfortable place to hide a home safe is inside a cabinet or a drawer. You can install or anchor the safe to a wooden cabinet where you can cover it with clothes or large towels. With this procedure, you can easily access and hide the safe quickly. However, hiding the security case in a wooden cabinet may not be ideal as the wood is not strong enough to resist prying. You can use this place if you plan to protect moderate important stuff in your safe.
It’s also worth mentioning that if you have such a portable home safe, it would be best to keep it close to you. A side drawer next to your bed is an excellent place to put your home safe where there’s a little risk of stealing your valuables.
It’s a fact that most home safe comes with a security feature that protects the contents inside. A durable and high-quality home safe should have a high rating to keep your safe protected. Now that you understand the importance of what to keep in a home safe. You should bear in mind to consider why and where is the best place to store your safe.