GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe
The SV500 is one of our favorite biometric safe on the market. It can be easily mounted on a desk or wall for easy access. If you also have a night stand with a solid base, you can easily place it on it as well.
Regarding size, the SpeedVault is not as small as most of its biometric cousins but what makes it attractive is the fact that it can be mounted on a hard surface. The problem with having a firearm safe that can be anchored down is that it discourages users who would like to have their firearms safe transported from place to place.
A crucial reason for anchoring your gun safe down is to keep your firearm secure and also to reduce the incidence of someone walking into your house and then to walk out with your safe. With the GunVault SV500, that would never happen.
This gun safe is uniquely designed. It also stores your firearm in an upright position inside the protective foam padded cradle. It takes up less space and leaves a minuscule footprint on your wall or desk, depending on where you decided to mount it.
Inside the safe, you will find a fully lined interior that keeps your gun from scratches and its stored. Opening the safe to retrieve your weapon involves going through the digital keypad on the top of the safe to unlock the safe by entering your personal code. The keypad to the GunVault offers 12 million possibilities of the access code combination so it's virtually impossible for anyone to guess your code correctly.
- Made from 18 gauge steel complete with the digital keypad. The SV500 is built with fortified 18 gauge steel that can't be hacked or broken down. The stronger the material used in the makeup of the safe, the more secured the items within it would be.
- Upright mounting design. With the GunVault SV500, you have to mount it before you can use it. There are pre-drilled holes on the safe which then requires that you mount it using the screws supplied with the package to mount it. The advantages of having a gun safe that you can mount are that it discourages intruders from walking out of your house with it while you're away.
- Visual and Audible Alarm. This safe has a range of audio and visual alarm to alert you when things are not right. It has a visual and audible alert when the battery is low so that you can change it. Without the battery, the safe won't be able to function with the digital keypad. In the case where you don't have a spare battery, you can simply use the backup key supplied so that you can still have access to your firearm.
What We Liked
- It has an inbuilt internal light which would come in handy when used at night. For intruders who like to walk in on you while you're asleep, having a gun safe with an internal light will go a long way in ensuring that you can retrieve your firearm without switching on the light in the room.
- It's easy to unlock (with the right combination) as well as unlock. Opening the handgun cradle involves entering your personal code on the digital keypad positioned at the top of the safe. This keypad offers the user 12 million possible combination which seeks to eliminate the chance of someone else guessing your code correctly. Also, in the case of an intruder trying to break into the safe by guessing your code, the GunVault SV500 will block access for anyone trying to open it using 24 incorrect combinations.
- It's mounted on the desk or a wall so an intruder can't just walk in and walk away with your safe.
- Sold with a 1-year warranty. This is backup protection for your purchase re-affirming the fact that the manufacturer will exchange any defective safe for a new one.
What We Didn’t Like
- It uses long mounting screws which need to be purchased separately. In order to correctly fix the GunVault SV500 on the walls or the desk, you will need long mounting bolts to do this effectively.'
- Not fireproof or waterproof which means your firearm will get damaged in the case of a flood or fire. With the rate at which houses are being set on fire or being flooded especially for those living on the East Coast, having a firearm safe that is waterproof, as well as fireproof for the first 1-hour, is critical. This limitation for us is a deal breaker.
The GunVault SpeedVault SV500 is a great safe for keeping your firearm and for quick retrieval. It can be mounted on a wall or the desk, so the fear of having an intruder walk away with your safe is mitigated. The major limitation that we see is the lack of fireproof and waterproof capabilities which is a must have in most gun safes today.
A burglar or a thief can easily access gun safes that utilize traditional keypads or locks. Even small children could also remember combination codes quickly. Many manufacturers now opt to use a more advanced way to open gun safes – biometric scanners.