Do You Need A Dehumidifier In A Gun Safe?
Gun safes ensure that your firearms and other valuables are safe. Though gun safes can endure fire and many other forces, it does not always protect its contents from becoming most. That is why some gun safe owners ask, “Do you need a dehumidifier in a gun safe?”
Keeping your guns in good condition is important. Even though you get to own the perfect gun safe to store your guns, they are still prone to corrosion in humid conditions. If you live in temperate regions, you understand that some areas of your home tend to become humid. Gun safes are dark, which causes this moisture build-up and become a breeding ground for other microorganisms. Thankfully, a dehumidifying unit lets you get away from this problem.
Reasons why Invest in the Best Dehumidifier
Moisture build-up affects both the look and function of a gun. By equipping your gun safe with a dehumidifier, you can rest assured that your guns will be protected
- High levels of humidity can cause mold to grow inside your gun safe. Your guns are some of your most prized possessions, and you don’t want them to be covered in or surrounded by mold. A mini dehumidifier can prevent mold from forming.
- Moisture has highly damaging effects on wooden pieces. If your collection contains any wood pieces, then these are at risk of warping and cracking from absorbing the moisture. A gun safe dehumidifier will prevent any part of your gun from breaking.
- Removing water from your gun collection can be quite time-consuming. You’ll need to clean off and grease each piece before you can store them again. A dehumidifier will prevent water from collecting on your collection, keeping them safe and dry.
Benefits of Having a dehumidifier
Protects your Ammos
Ammunition isn't cheap. All ammunition types have a limited shelf life, and you must take care of these items, especially when you live in a humid area. Dehumidifier gets rid of the moisture inside your safe, making it safe for your ammo.
A dehumidifier makes your life easy because you no longer need to check the condition of your ammo every time regularly. It is because you can't eventually notice that your ammunition is degrading. After all, the process is slow.
Reduce the moisture in the air by using the best dehumidifier for your safe.
Keeps your Safe Mold-free
Molds do not come from the moisture inside your safe. It is usually from the foam coating of your gun. But as moisture is confined inside in your safe, this can serve as a breeding ground for molds. With the use of dehumidifiers, the reproduction molds can stop.
Protect your Guns and Safe from Rust
Corrosion is a common problem for guns and even in safes. As moisture builds up in your gun safe, your gun, safe and other items inside the safe may lead to the build-up of rust. Rust builds up can permanently damage your safe and the items inside it. Dehumidifier keeps your safe dry and away from rust build-up.
Kinds of Humidifiers
Dehumidifiers come into three kinds. You need to know these kinds of dehumidifiers so that you can clearly understand why do you need a dehumidifier in a gun safe
These are ordinary dehumidifiers we can see in the boxes of new shoes. Yes, silica bags are used to reduce the air moisture that gets in contact with shoeboxes to avoid molds and other destructive components.
These silica dehumidifiers come in all shapes and sizes. These are small packets that are consist of pellets. The pellets inside the bags absorb moisture when it is placed in a confined area. They are the most affordable choice and are perfect for gun owners who do not want to use power or drill holes in their gun safe's walls.
Advantages of Silica Bags:
- Cheap and accessible
- No power connection needed
- Effective for small areas only
- Does not completely remove all moisture
These dehumidifiers use rechargeable batteries instead of electricity. Some units have batteries that can last up to 2 months before you need to recharge it. It gets rid of the annoying wires that connect from your safe to a power outlet if your safe has no outlet inside.
- The dehumidifier notifies when the moisture capacity is at maximum levels
- Less maintenance
- Compact and safe
- Only removes around 10-18% of moisture inside the gun safe
- You need to check the battery life regularly
An electric dehumidifier is the most recommended kind of dehumidifier. Gun owners recommend this kind when someone talks about why do you need a dehumidifier in a gun safe.
It removes all moisture that confines inside your safe. Once it is installed, you'll no longer worry about moisture issues inside your safe that can damage your safe and items inside it. Though a bit more costly, they are completely worth the investment.
- No need for you to check it every time
- Worthy investment
- You need to drill a hole in your safe for electrical purposes
There are three kinds of dehumidifiers for safe, with the stated pros and cons, you should be able to grasp and decide what you need. The choice is completely up to you. You need to weigh what kind and what unit that suits your safe's needs in terms of dehumidifiers.
Dehumidifiers keep your gun safe free for air moisture that can damage your guns and the safe itself. By now, you should be convinced and will be able to answer you why do you need a dehumidifier in a gun safe.
No matter what kind of dehumidifier and model, it keeps your guns and safe rust-proof.