Some people may have tons of cash, precious jewels, and collectibles stashed in safe-deposit boxes at the bank. However, the average homeowners who need to store some cash, jewelry, and pertinent documents (like birth certificates, marriage licenses, passports, and land titles) don’t need to rent a box in the bank for safekeeping. You can opt to purchase a home safe instead. These safe boxes guard your precious belongings against water damage, fire, and theft. The key to having peace of mind is to find the best home safe that will work best for you. In this article, we will give a detailed review of our top 5 best home safes for fire and burglary.
If you’re looking for the best home safe, you have to weigh the pros and cons of different types and features of safes. We’ve detailed below the good, and the bad of each featured safe so that you can find an industry-leading model fit for your needs.
Types of Home Safe
It is essential to understand the different types of safes when trying to purchase the best home safes for fire and burglary. Since home safes come in different types and sizes, you have to figure out which one would be more beneficial for you.
- Floor home safes – This type of home safe can be bolted to the floor and easily hidden in plain sight. It is the best safe if you’re looking for protection against fires.
- Wall home safes – This type of home safe is designed to be mounted to the wall. Most wall safes are recommended to prevent access to children. Some wall home safes have the option to be hidden by building them behind hanging pictures or TVs to keep them out of plain sight.
- Commercial safes – This safe recommended for business use. You can use it to safely store extra cash, receipts, and other documents from unauthorized individuals. Businesses often use safes for cash boxes, key boxes, and relevant documents.
- Portable safes – Portable safes are compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry from one location to another. A handle or tethering cable may be included so that you can attach your safe to a sturdy object.
|SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad||Prevent theft and enjoy both fireproof and waterproof features with this top-rated and cost-efficient home safe. The SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad is made of durable steel and has four live-locking bolts, a pry-resistant hinge bar, and bolt-down nuts.|
|Viking Security Biometric Safe||Safeguard your money, jewelry, and other valuables in the compact Viking Security Biometric Safe. It measures 14 in. W x 10 in. D x 10 in. H. It sports a 20 mm deadbolt locking system and two pry-resistant, steel locking bars. The safe also utilizes biometrics for fingerprint lock and unlock feature.|
|SentrySafe CHW20221 Fireproof Box and Waterproof Box with Key Lock||The SentrySafe Fire Resistant Chest allows you to protect your pertinent documents and other valuables from fire and water damages. It can endure fire up to half an hour, which gives you ample time to transfer it to a safer place in case of an emergency. It also can protect its contents from flood damage for up to 72 hours.|
|Amazon Basics Steel, Security Safe Lock Box||This safe from Amazon is constructed in a way that is beautiful to look at and, at the same time, exceptionally functional. The safe features two live-door bolts with pry-resistant concealed hinges.|
|Steelwater Fireproof Safe||The Steelwater Fireproof Safe home safe can withstand up to two hours of 1850 degrees Fahrenheit heat. The safe needs both the combination lock and the key to open for your security purposes. It also connects two locking bolts to avoid burglar attempts for the safety of your belongings.|
Detailed Reviews On The Top 5 Best Home Safes For Fire And Burglary
SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad
Prevent theft and enjoy both fireproof and waterproof features with this top-rated and cost-efficient home safe. The SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad is made of durable steel and has four live-locking bolts, a pry-resistant hinge bar, and bolt-down nuts. Your valuables, including USB drives, and relevant documents remain safe for up to one hour from fire damage. Its waterproof feature will keep your possessions dry and preserved for up to 24 hours.
What stands out for me about this product is its digital keypad, which has a backup key for safety, and other inherent features, including interior lighting and a locking drawer. The SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe has various sizes to choose from. However, among the three sizes, the 1.23 cubic foot model is recommended for most homeowners with its exterior measures 16.3 in. W x 19.3 in. D x 17.8 in. H. You have everything you’ll need with the SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe. This top our list of best home safes for fire and burglary.
One downfall of the SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Safe is lastingness. Some owners complained about mechanisms failing after a few years of use. However, it would still go down to the maintenance and handling of your safe properly.
- 1-hour fire protection
- 24-hour water protection
- Digital keypad
- Large door bolts
- Failing mechanisms after a few years of use
Viking Security Biometric Safe
Safeguard your money, jewelry, and other valuables in the compact Viking Security Biometric Safe. It measures 14 in. W x 10 in. D x 10 in. H. It sports a 20 mm deadbolt locking system and two pry-resistant, steel locking bars. The safe also utilizes biometrics for fingerprint lock and unlock feature.
The Viking Security Biometric Safe allows you to add up to 32 fingerprints or use the backup PIN passcode instead. You can find an adjustable shelf, an interior LED light system, and carpet for protection when opening the safe. These features prevent scratches or damages on your valuables. Another top feature of this product is a warning beep. It serves as a signal when you forget to lock the door. So you’ll surely feel secured even when away from home.
Although the Viking Security Biometric safe is the most burglar-proof on our list, keep in mind that this product does not have fire nor waterproof features. So if you’re prone to flooding or fires, give this one a pass.
- Biometric fingerprint lock
- Program up to 32 fingerprints
- Not waterproof
- Not fireproof
SentrySafe CHW20221 Fireproof Box and Waterproof Box with Key Lock
The SentrySafe Fire Resistant Chest allows you to protect your pertinent documents and other valuables from fire and water damages. It can endure fire up to half an hour, which gives you ample time to transfer it to a safer place in case of an emergency. It also can protect its contents from flood damage for up to 72 hours.
This compact home safe is designed to protect your valuables against unexpected fire and water damage to keep your irreplaceable belongings intact. This product also offers ETL-verified digital media protection, which enables controlled internal temperatures for your CDs, DVDs, and USBs. It also features a carrying handle for convenience. One flagship feature of the SentrySafe Fire Resistant Chest is its price range. It’s budget-friendly, yet delivers excellent performance.
The SentrySafe Fire Resistant Chest does not have an option to be mounted, making it one of its negative aspects. It also does not have a digital keypad, so you need to be mindful of your keys all the time. However, if you’re looking for a basic product that will not disappoint, then give this one a try.
- Half hour fire protection
- 72-hour water protection
- Digital media protection
- Carrying handle
- No option for mount
- No digital keypad
Amazon Basics Steel, Security Safe Lock Box
This safe from Amazon is constructed in a way that is beautiful to look at and, at the same time, exceptionally functional. The safe features two live-door bolts with pry-resistant concealed hinges. It has a reprogrammable digital access and a steel construction plus a carpeted floor for anti-scratch and damage.
This model features .5 cubic feet safe and an electronic lock with two emergency override keys.
Its body is made of stainless-steel construction. Rest assured, it is strong enough to keep the burglars from barging in your safe. The safe also has a beautiful look, thanks to its scratch-resistant exterior.
Based on customer reviews, there are a few cases of poor customer service. Plus, others noted that it is not fireproof.
- Electronic lock
- Two override keys
- Steel construction
- Removable interior shelf
- Reprogrammable access
- Poor customer service
- Not fireproof
Steelwater Fireproof Safe
The Steelwater Fireproof Safe home safe can withstand up to two hours of 1850 degrees Fahrenheit heat. The safe needs both the combination lock and the key to open for your security purposes. It also connects two locking bolts to avoid burglar attempts for the safety of your belongings.
The Steelwater Fireproof safe includes an adjustable shelf and removable drawer for easy organization your belongings. It incorporates two locking bolts for added security. It’s also designed with two layers of durable steel, preventing easy access for thieves and burglars.
Given its superb performance, having an expensive price tag does not come as a surprise. So if you don’t have extra cash to spend, there are other available safes in the market which can fit more with your budget.
- 2-hour fire protection
- Requires both combination and key lock
- Comes with an adjustable shelf
Home Safe Benefits
- Protecting your valuables – In cases of emergency, our first reaction will be getting our loved ones to safety. So having a home safe keeps all your valuables secured while you escape to a safer place.
- Store dangerous valuables – If you have dangerous and hazardous belongings, then having a home safe is a must. It prevents children and pets from having access to your delicate items, thus, avoiding unforeseen danger in your household.
- Peace of mind – When away from home, people tend to worry about their precious belongings. With home safes, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that others won’t easily reach your valuables without your permission.
Here are some things to remember to make the most out of your new safe and to keep it away from unauthorized people:
- Lock your safe always – Whether you have something valuable or not, you have to keep your safe locked always. You never know when you’ll forget to lock your safe or who will be trying to get access around the house, so always be mindful and make it a habit to keep your safe locked all the time.
- Use a difficult passcode – It might be tempting to have a passcode or backup key you can easily remember, it will compromise the safety of your valuables. You’ll never know who might have access to your extra set of keys or might have an idea of your passcode, so try to find a difficult one to guess.
- Never talk about the location of your safe – Always be cautious of your safe’s location—don’t tell anyone or compromise your safe’s site. The fewer people who know, the better.
- Secure and hide your safe if possible – Going the extra mile to bolt and secure your safe is a must. In cases of theft or intruders entering your home, there is a big possibility that you might not see it again if you prefer to have an easily accessible and compact safe.
When thinking about storing your precious valuables, there are a lot of things to think about first. Pick the home safe that makes you feel most secure with storing your belongings. Different types offer various features. Just always think about what safe would complement your needs the most. We hope that the list above of our detailed reviews on our top picks on the best home safes for fire and burglary had been helpful and beneficial. Good luck in finding the best home safe for you! Get more tips on home safes.