We strongly advise you to read our guide before buying a biometric gun safe. There are the features and other important factors that made a fingerprint gun safe reliable one.
I’m sure you’ll agree when I say being a gun owner may make you feel empowered – but what about the moments you do not have your gun with you?.
Are you constantly worrying about it being stolen? Or picked up by your 8 year old? Worried about the impending dangers of leaving it unsupervised or accessible? If so, you would do yourself a favor by getting yourself a gun safe. A gun cabinet is a secured and protected chamber of varying sizes and designs, that works as a safe storage for one or more guns, and, or ammunition for those firearms.
When it comes to buying a fingerprint gun safe, make sure the safe has thick doors. It is often advised that you get a biometric handgun safes with no lesser than a seven gauge outer plate in the door.
The thicker the steel on the door, the harder it will be to break down. Plate doors are recommended by professionals to composite doors due to the hardened steel plates which are included in their production.
We have carefully selected five biometric gun safes according to your needs and gun sizes. Each and every selection has its own unique capabilities. You could face some situation in your life where you quick access to your gun without waste of time and in some cases you need to secure your rifles, pistol, ammunition and some cash or jewelry. This article has will guide and clarify your requirement for the selection of your final safe.
|GunVault SpeedVault SVB500 Biometric Pistol Safe Review||The SVB500 has two backup override keys that ensure easy access to your safe in any event. It comes with an Interior Courtesy Light that illuminates your handgun or valuables in low light situations.|
|Verifi Smart Safe Fast Access Safe with FBI Fingerprint Sensor||Manufactured by one of the trusted security brands in America, Zvetco Biometrics. This company is known for its highly secure and scalable designs which have endeared the Verifi to a lot of gun owners including government organizations like the Department of Justice and Homeland Security.|
|Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model||This is bestselling pistol safe product on the market and a choice of lot of gun owners because it is loaded with a long list of useful features that keep the guns stored in it safe and protected against scratches and other possible damages while in storage.|
|Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652||Designed to hold up to 4 rifles, the Barska AX11652 is a very dependable biometric gun safe reader that is ideal for storing your firearms from intruders as well as out of reach from your children.|
|Steelwater Extreme Duty Fire Protection AMHD593024-EMP||Steelwater AMHD593024-EMP is a heavy-duty rifle safe that is sold at a budget-friendly price. It has less storage capacity than other models produced by Steelwater, but it is also significantly cheaper.|
Review of The Best Five Biometric gun Safe
GunVault SpeedVault SVB500 Biometric Pistol Safe Review
The SVB500 has two backup override keys that ensure easy access to your safe in any event. It comes with an Interior Courtesy Light that illuminates your handgun or valuables in low light situations. This is an important feature especially for situations when an intruder sneaks into the house and cuts off the power. Another important feature of the GunVault SVB500 is a High Strength Lock Mechanism that is virtually impossible to pry open with open hand tools.
This ensures your valuables are secured behind your GunVault. The GunVault SVB500 can be mounted on a desk or to a wall for clear and easy access. It is not as small as some other models on the market, but the fact that you can mount it to a wall increases its visibility and makes it impossible to miss. You can also anchor the SpeedVault down keeping your firearm secured, so an intruder won’t walk in on your while trying to keep your weapon safe. In spite of the SVB500’s small size, it doesn’t restrict you on the size of your firearm. You can keep any handgun in this safe including a 1911 firearm. We love this safe for its security and ease of use.
Verifi Smart Safe Fast Access Safe with FBI Fingerprint Sensor
Manufactured by one of the trusted security brands in America, Zvetco Biometrics. This company is known for its highly secure and scalable designs which have endeared the Verifi to a lot of gun owners including government organizations like the Department of Justice and Homeland Security. Unlike the GunVault reviewed before this, the Verifi can store up to 40 users with one fingerprint per user or up to 10 users using four different fingerprints. It has an FBI Fingerprint Sensor that uses 3D technology to captures the tiniest details on your finger.
A unique feature with the Verifi Smart Safe is the Event Logs. This allows you to monitor events on who accessed the safe and the period it was accessed. You will also be able to get information on denied access and the time it happened. For accessing the biometric safe at night, the Verifi S6000 comes with a LED light system within the safe which can light up an entire room during night access. We love this feature as it’s uncommon to find a light as sharp as this within the price range this safe is sold.
Another interesting feature with this biometric gun safe is that the scanner has an LCD attached to it which shows event logs, tamper alerts (for those trying to force their way in), battery life and others. You can also use the display to add new users as well as to delete old ones whose access to the safe has been revoked.
Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model
This is the bestselling pistol-safe product on the market and a choice of a lot of gun owners because it is loaded with a long list of useful features that keep the guns stored in it safe and protected against scratches and other possible damages while in storage. The safe is well built, durable, and made of upscale materials. It is equipped with an advanced locking system that makes use of fingerprints.
The Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model features a heavy-duty 12-gauge solid steel construction and is designed for pistol storage. It is equipped with an electronic lock for protection along with a biometric fingerprint lock and a programmable digital keypad. The safe also comes with an override key and a compression gas strut for the pry-resistant door.
Although it comes with a few user-described flaws, the Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model can still be considered a good buy particularly for buyers who need to store their guns in a safer container. It also comes with an advanced locking system that can be unlocked using a code or the owner’s fingerprints. Finally, the safe features durable and reliable construction that will prevent unauthorized entry, even with a pry bar.
Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652
Designed to hold up to 4 rifles, the Barska AX11652 is a very dependable biometric gun safe reader that is ideal for storing your firearms from intruders as well as out of reach from your children.
This monstrous gun safe can store up to 120 fingerprints which make it a suitable for use at a private residence of a family of hunters as well as at government agencies. The Barska Safe is fully biometric. It works only at the touch of your finger, and it opens within 4 seconds of placing your finger on the biometric scanner.
You will have to mount the safe on the wall. The mounting bolts to be used to mount the Barska AX11652 are inside the box that the gun safe is sold with. Fixing it is a matter of attaching bolts to the pre-drilled holes in the safe.
The Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652, as with most biometric gun safes work with batteries. It uses 4 AA batteries (which are included with the purchase). The battery has a lifespan of 12 months. When the battery does go flat, you can access the safe by using emergency backup keys or by using the replacement batteries (this is supplied along with the purchase).
Steelwater Extreme Duty Fire Protection AMHD593024-EMP
Steelwater AMHD593024-EMP is a heavy-duty rifle safe that is sold at a budget-friendly price. It has less storage capacity than other models produced by Steelwater, but it is also significantly cheaper. Built in 12-gauge solid steel construction for heavy-duty protection against fire, flood, and intrusion of all kinds. The Steelwater AMHD593024-EMP uses a gear-driven bolt of 9 steel locking bolts for securing your firearm.
The door is reinforced by a durable steel plate that can withstand all forms of attacks. With the Steelwater AMHD593024-EMP, your long guns are forever protected against flood and fire up to 1500F for up to 45 minutes. We love this model against the other models produced by the same manufacturer for the locking system. It uses an electromagnetic pulse-proof lock for keeping the firearms in the safe locked away from intruders as well as prying eyes from family members.
This safe has been built to keep your firearms in different locations. It has two major compartments that can withhold over ten long guns, which can allow you to store a total of 20 guns for safekeeping. Built to withstand fire up to 45 minutes at 1550 degrees Fahrenheit, the Steelwater Extreme Duty Fire Protection Safe is everything that you could ever think of.
Why do I need a fingerprint gun safe?
Owning firearms demands great responsibility from you by keeping it away from children. A biometric gun safe will ensure it’s safe keeping from kids and also prevent it from falling into the wrong hands, such as in the case of a burglary, as you may want to keep an antique firearm that is precious to you. Before diving into further details, this infographic will show you some statistics when firearms fall into wrong hands.
There are so many reasons why you would want to own a gun safe in present day America and they include:
- Promote Gun Safety: We all have heard horrific stories when school or college students who have access to guns, shot someone intentionally or unintentionally. In other scenario, toddlers could find it and use against themselves or worse, against their friends while playing around in your study. A gun safe prevents unauthorized access to your firearms.
- Prevent Gun Theft: The primary reason why anyone should buy a gun safe is to protect and control the access to your firearm. You need to protect your gun from burglars who could try to use it against you if they get to it before you do. Having a gun safe mitigates all of those risks by ensuring there is controlled access to your firearm.
- Your Right: Another reason why you need to own a gun safe is to protect your right as a citizen of the United States to possess a firearm. Anti-gun political groups will always try to make gun owners look irresponsible and evil, but by owning a gun safe and locking your guns away from full view, you can protect your 2nd Amendment right by showing responsible ownership.
- Tax Rebate: In some part of united states, a tax rebate is given to those who a buy gun safe. For example, states like Massachusetts and New Jersey offer the exemption in sales tax when someone buys gun safe. So why not to buy a gun safe to enjoy tax benefit and to ensure safe keeping of guns.
- Protect Your Firearms and other valuables: A gun safe is not only meant to store the firearms and ammunition. It can also be used to secure your important documents, insurance and investment plans, jewelry and other valuables.
- Fire incidence: While gun safes are used by a lot of people to protect the firearm from others, it can also be used as a way to protect your guns from fire and other unforeseen events that could besiege your home. When you want to purchase a gun safe, it is important that you choose a best fireproof gun safe with a high fire rating. Gun safes with a high fire rating will protect your firearm in the event of a fire. The minimum rating for fire hazard is a 1-hour fire rating.
Why invest in a Fingerprint or Biometric Gun Safe?
Imagine you come home from work, tired and irritable. You grab a beer and all you can think of is heading off to the firing range to let off some steam. As you approach your gun safe you realize you cannot remember where you placed the keys or the password. You start getting more frustrated as you try to locate them – sounds infuriating, doesn’t it? Wouldn’t it be all the more convenient if all you had to do was press your finger and voila! Your job is done.
Biometric safes allow you to secure and access valuables by scanning a finger. Not only is a biometric system great for convenience, but its most important feature is that of establishing security. This ensures that your children, any unauthorized users, or thieves will not be able to open your safe to access your weapons. A biometric system will only allow access to a selected group of fingerprints that have been incorporated into the system – the rest will not be permitted to go through.
Owning a gun without having a biometric safe to keep it in is irresponsible and wrong. Your kids can guess your combination, and it’s not fast enough when you hear footsteps coming at you from the stairs. You need a biometric gun safe. This video show how a 3-year-old kid can open cheap safes having no biometric identification facility.
This well-researched article on the best biometric gun safe reviews will guide you on why you need a fingerprint gun safe as well as the best biometric gun safe out there.
- Speed: When it comes to the first reason why biometric gun safes are necessary, the most apparent should be speed and ease of getting your firearm when you need it. A fingerprint safe can be opened in less than 2 seconds as opposed to other safes that might involve you pressing some depressing combinations till you get access to your gun.
- Access: Protected access is probably the primary reason why we get gun safes, in general. You want to limit access to your firearm as much as possible as unauthorized access or inexperienced hands could mean a lot of trouble for you and your family.
- Ease of use: Keeping track of keys or memorizing long and depressing combinations are not as easy as placing your finger on a safe. Anyone with your key or that can guess your combinations can pry open the traditional safe, but with biometric gun safes, you are assured of your firearm being locked away securely even in the event of a fire outbreak.
How Biometric Gun Safe Works
Biometric gun safes use human interaction to provide a secured protection for your firearm. It is considered one of the most robust security solutions for protection of guns. It is 100% guaranteed as human characteristics like a fingerprint cannot be changed or forgotten compared to keys or combination.
Fingerprint gun safes use your fingerprint to gain or restrict access to your firearm through an authentication process that is almost impossible to hack. It comes with a small display where you need to place your finger on for it to scan and compare with the pre-installed prints used during installation.
Biometric gun safes work by first enrolling a person’s basic information (shape of hands, fingerprint, etc.) After which the characteristics got are recorded and translated into codes or graphics that the unit can recognize and then stored in the system. Once this is done, your fingerprint gun safe is ready to use. Anyone who places their fingerprint on it will be compared to yours in the form of patterns and lines that are peculiar to your hands and fingers. If it matches, the safe opens. Otherwise, it remains shut.
Biometric gun safes are 100% secure as fingerprints are hard to duplicate or guess.
Things to Consider When Buying a Gun Safe
- Size: The size of the safe in question should not be overlooked when you are in the market in search of a biometric gun safe. Ideally, you want a gun safe that is big enough to contain your firearms as well as small enough that it doesn’t draw too much attention to itself. The size of the safe would determine the number of firearms that it can contain as well as other accessories like ammunition. Professional gun owners and makers of gun safes usually advise new safe owners to buy a safe that is bigger than what they have a need for so they can have some space left for adding more valuables later on.
- Weight: The weight of your fingerprint gun safe will be determined by the material used in its construction. If it’s made from heavy-duty, durable construction steel; it will weigh a bit. Another advantage of having a gun safe that weighs a lot that it can’t easily be dismounted from the wall and transported as compared with a biometric safe that weighs as little as a box.
- Lock Type: A consideration that will determine how easy it will be to open your safe is the locking type. What kind of locking mechanism would you like to have in your gun safe? There are mainly two – electronic locks and mechanical dial locks. Electrical locks are usually more convenient to use and faster to get unlocked. A good example of an electronic lock is a biometric lock that uses your fingerprint to lock and unlock the safe. Mechanical locks are usually much simple and could last hundreds of years due to its durability. A major problem with this kind of locking mechanism is that the dial can be guessed, unlike an electronic lock that requires your fingerprint to unlock.
- Door Thickness: When it comes to buying a gun safe that will keep your firearm and ammunition from intruders and kids who could be playing around in your study or bedroom when you’re away, make sure the safe has thick doors. It is often advised that you get a gun safe with no lesser than a seven gauge outer plate in the door. The thicker the steel on the door, the harder it will be to break down. Plate doors are recommended by professionals to composite doors due to the hardened steel plates which are included in their production.
- Bolt Locking System: When it comes to choosing a gun safe based on the bolt locking system, the trick is to get a safe that has more locking bolts that will be more secure than a safe that has fewer. The term used by manufacturers is called bolt coverage. For instance, the Barska Quick access AX11652 has a three-bolt locking system which means it has bolts on top, side and below the door for securing the door into the safe body. The diameter of the bolts as well as the material it is made of will also determine how easy or difficult it will be for an intruder to force entry.
- Fire Ratings: When it comes to buying a gun safe, fire ratings are usually an overlooked topic. Having a gun safe with a high fire rating means in the incidence of an outbreak of fire, your firearm and ammo will be protected until the fire department arrives at the scene to put the fire out. Gun safes with a fire rating that are less than 60 minutes are not suitable for adequate fire protection in the case of fire at home or office. The standard is to aim for a gun safe with a fire rating of 1 hour. Why spend so much on a gun safe that won’t hold up when you need it the most.
- Protection Type: How much protection can the safe provide against water, flood, and fire, and even from burglars? When you’re searching for a safe that can provide protection against flood, be sure to check the holes in the safe’s base are sealed with caulking materials. Caulking materials will also help provide protection in the incidence of fire. The thing with fire protection is that you need to be sure that there is fiberglass embedded in your sheetrock for fire lining. The fiberglass is the one that will maintain the physical strength of your safe in the incidence of fire. Another consideration to make when searching for a gun safe that can offer protection against fire is the insulators used in the safe. The two most common insulators found in gun safes are sheetrock and ceramic wool. Ceramic wool is recommended by experts due to its ability to offer much higher insulation compared to sheet rock.
- Quality: The quality of your gun safe matters a lot. The quality can be checked by inspecting the unit and the material it is made of. A durable safe will last you for generations. Consider the thickness of the metal used in the construction of the safe. A cheap metal cabinet will not protect your firearm, and it can easily be hacked open by an intruder putting you and your family in danger. One of the things you would notice when you browse through popular online stores is that low-end metal cabinets tend to have ultra-thin metal bodies which can be broken down with a simple screwdriver or a hammer.